Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Master Bedroom

While I'm on a roll, since I've been MIA, I thought I'd post a project we've been working on while the outside has been worked on for us: the master bedroom.

This was my grandfathers room. He had a HUGE bed which made the space feel super small, plus there was furniture in every nook and cranny. What we DIDNT know (and what he didn't know either when he sold it to me) was that because that furniture sat there for so many decades, there was mold growing behind the furniture. Some bleach/water mix fixed that, and it hasn't come back.

We used mostly left over pink from my old bedrooms to decorate the room, and I even painted a hot pink wall. However, it grew stale after a year, and Drew bought me a nice new comforter from Dwell Studio at Target, so I dreamed up ;) a new design plan for the room over the next year.

This is a funky color because in some sunlight it's super light, and others it's a bright blue, and then the camera catches it completely different than my eye at the same time. It's a lot like the outside color! It's Martha Stewart's Vintage Map by Valspar at Lowe's. I loved it so much, we're doing it in the kitchen. We put down new baseboards (we're still working on the wood shoes, that's not easy to measure and cut, and we've wasted a lot of wood in the process!) and I sewed those curtains out of some awesome, $4/yard linen. I wanted to bring in some texture, and that was it! I'm making a matching pillow next, so I'll have to post an after, after. I'm also recycling the stumps from the trees we cut down as bedside tables, and am on the hunt for the perfect bedside lamp. I'm thinking along the lines of this. I wanted it to feel like I was in nature in there. I painted little bird houses to put up on the walls once we figure out the permanent furniture arrangement, and I even got some white picket fences to put somewhere. I just need to get a feel for the room more.

I'm also bringing in this painting (against Drews best wishes. For some reason, he hates that painting), which was featured in "I Dream of Jeannie" and "Bewitched." That's me in the middle :) My grandfather had it in the dining room my entire life, and it was the one thing I begged him to leave behind, because I would cherish it forever. Aside from my target Pony Head, this is my most favorite decoration. And to be honest, I don't even like ponies. But for decor? It's my favorite thing to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment