Saturday, January 9, 2010

Roomboard: Olive Juice!

You know, the phrase you mouth that looks like “I Love You?” I gave myself a mission. Make a room look a little more 3D, and I mostly accomplished it. However, being the perfectionist I am, I have to say this can’t happen again! I spent many days on this room, but OLIVE how it turned out ;) I wanted a room that needed few decorations and pieces of furniture to test it with. So what better than a nursery? I know there are so many cute pet names for babies in the belly, like peanut and bean, but I thought olive fit, and I hadn’t heard it being used to describe the “bun in the oven.” Then somehow that one little word birthed this baby:

olive2

1. When I thought olive, I immediately remembered this Ikea fabric. And at $7.99 a year, with a couple cuts and stitches to create panels, it will be easy on the wallet and will stick with any design baby has as she grows. I took the tan color from the fabric and created the wall color, and since a nursery should give off a comfortable atmosphere, I wanted a darker ceiling to cozy it up. I love the combination of green and purple, so I chose a dark purple for the ceiling and accessories only made sense to be dark purple and olive green as well! :)

2. For the lighting, I picked not one, but two drum shaped linen shades to keep it feeling contemporary and light. From there, I decided to use tan colored piping and details on the super comfy looking rocker and foot rest.

3. With all the light colors, I wanted to ground the space with espresso colored furniture. However, to keep things contemporary, I wanted storage that was stylish and minimal. I chose a crib with a pull out drawer and the Ikea Malm Dresser, both with nice clean lines and no visible handles. Rather than a changing table, I stuck a changing mat on the dresser so the furniture can grow up with baby! For toy storage, I like the espresso colored wicker with linen lining to compliment the other linen and dark wood elements in the room (and it’s way more stylish than primary colored plastic bins!)

4. For the remainder of the room, I dropped in more green and purple accents. To inject a little personal touch, I put a vinyl graphic of baby’s name and leveled it over a shelf with a vase so it looks more intentional, and a big painting of an olive over the crib. I couldn’t resist throwing in my signature pony obsession with a rocking horse, and softened up the wood floors with a super soft sheepskin rug.

The room feels much more welcoming and cozy because of all the texture spread about. Between the sheepskin rug, chenille throw blanket, linen shades, and wicker basket, all that texture will certainly “feel” like home for mommy, daddy, AND baby!

2 comments:

  1. I love your color scheme!! Let's be honest, I'm a sucker for anything green, but I also love the paint colors you picked. Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a nice comment. I just adore your blog :)

    ReplyDelete